Thursday, July 22, 2010

my tongue oh my tongue

July 2nd 2010

This is from yesterday's devotional I subscribe, which is so related to me... >.< I did actually experience it again this morning.. *some habitual morning's "exercise" with my super CUTE brother lah* .. and got pretty distracted *and irritated* with some ungentle words spoken to me just now >.<, which made me realize how we need to guide our mouth, our words, and our behavior! They really affect others! The less is better, yeah.. *uuh, believe me, I know hard it is* a little less conversation, a little more action please!!

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be" (James 3:9-10 NIV).

Have you ever gotten up early and had a sweet time with the LORD, only to turn into an unreasonable, raging screamer hours later? (Thanks to my dear brother who never ceases to tease me every morning...and I'm pretty sure before I "win" the battle *u know, keeping my mouth shut!*, he will keep doing it...it's been forever, he knows his sister well enough, how easy it is to make me "scream")
Have you ever had an argument with your spouse or children (in my case, my siblings..?) on the way to church, only to cross the threshold of the lobby with blessings and kindness on your tongue?
Have you ever driven in traffic with worship music on the dash and praise on your lips when suddenly, someone cut you off and the praises on your tongue turned to cursing?
If you've answered "yes" to any of these questions, welcome to the Sinner's Club. All humans have an automatic membership that activates at birth and is irrevocable until we accept forgiveness through Jesus Christ, and see His face on the other side of glory.

The Bible calls us to a higher, more consistent temperature of living.
We must be careful not to praise and curse with the same tongue.
Are you swinging the pendulum of your responses, or are they swinging you?
We are accountable for our behavior.
We are accountable for the way we respond to circumstances.
Our responses reflect the core of who we are.
They reflect our faith ... good or bad.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come" (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV).

As we go through today, let's center the thermometer of our hearts on Christ so we are less likely to respond in stark contrast to His perfect example of love. Let's heed the wisdom found in Proverbs 3:3: "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart."

From : Girlfriends in God by Gwen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment