Wednesday, October 13, 2010

i hate veggies? not anymore!!

Last week, a friend of mine asked if I could recommend any books for his mom and sis. To be honest, I am not confident enough to do this, 'coz I am not a reader at all! I read not because I love to read, but because I have to!

I would be super confident if I was asked "how to play with kids?" or "how to talk to strangers?" or maybe "how to sleep like a pig?" -- but, "what to read..?" All I could think of is how I used to hate reading.. and for me, reading was the most boring activity to do! It's just impossible~! >.<


If some people grew up reading comics. Me? haha.. only all ballet series, and yeah..not because I loved reading, but I love anything about ballet. Doraemon, only several pages each part, wasn't burdensome at all! And, that's all!

(when people knew I went to Japan for college, almost all of them reacted ...."waaaaah...MANGA!!! you're lucky, lyn!" i was like, "yeah rite!!!")

Magazines? I didn't read the articles, oh maybe the main points only.


Reading books had been my new year resolutions for almost 7 years, since I graduated high school. I struggled a lot, 'til I finally could finish one book in (what?) a year, maybe!

It's like eating veggies for small boy = impossible, "I don't like it but I am forced to eat it" ..

Eventually he got used to it, not because he liked it- ! and, he saw the good things veggies caused to his body. *hopefully* Then, he will look for veggies himself.

In my case, I wasn't forced by anyone to read. Just a "look" from my sis, she couldn't understand me at all! (btw, my sis reads everything, even nutrition facts written in any boxes at home! See? I didn't understand her at all either! For me, she's freak!)


By His grace, I realized, in order to grow more each day, I need to read! I need veggies~~!! I read Bible, of course. But I wanted to learn more. I wanted to see how God worked in other people's lives, and how it could be applied in my life too. I wanted to learn, to share and to teach.

It wasn't easy at all to start, seriously! Really, a book a year??? I kept on trying, another resolution on the following year, on and on. I could give up anytime, and say "ah, reading is just not me!". But, I decided not to!! I decided to keep on going...to read, to enjoy reading, to read and to read!!! 'til finally I could answer people "what did u do last weekend, lyn?" --- "oh, I read all day long! and I am glad I did"

I used to get upset if I got books for my presents - "does this person not know me at all???" - but, now..I am so grateful, honestly~! (God really works in me ^^)

'coz the more I read, the more I learn, and the more I share... and I love it. Again, not because I love reading, but because what books do to me!!


So...how did this "I hate veggies" girl find good books to read? I started by asking reliable people, which veggies were good! From one book, it recommend another book and so on.

I also searched within me "what God wanted me to learn", asked Him to help me find good ones. Really, He is God who works in every single little thing in our lives. Most of the time He did lead - show and even give them to me in His surprising ways :D

Now, I could ask my sis, "ci, have u read this book? I just bought it, and finished reading it. There, read it! :D :D"


For all who have been reading from kids, ooh.. I envy you.. I have wasted most of my time for not reading. Keep reading good books, and please encourage people like "old me" to read!

For all who're struggling, I was there, and sometimes I still do too! Keep focusing on your goals -learning more and more- and never give up!

For all who still "hate veggies", please do eat! It's good for your health! I am much healthier than ever before!


No comments:

Post a Comment